The Jupiter Artland Education Foundation launched the first ever ARTiculation Scotland in June 2014. Eight pupils in their last two years at school took part in this public speaking competition about art that was initiated by The Roche Court Educational Trust in England eight years ago.
An audience of one hundred attended and the feedback was very positive, one audience member wrote: “very inspiring to hear young people speak so passionately and knowledgeably about art”.
- Winner: Jodie Williamson from Boroughmuir High School – Artist: Miyauzaki- Artwork: Spirited Away – Talk Title: Animation is Art – Watch a video of Jodie’s winning talk HERE
- Second: Connie Gillespie from Glenalmond College – Gauguin – The Vision of the Sermon – Wrestling with Gauguin – Watch Connie’s talk HERE
- Third: Gregor Horne from St Columba’s RC High School – Gehry – The Walt Disney Concert Hall – Frank Gehry’s Sculptural Approach to Architecture.
- Gillies Semple from George Heriots School – Joseph Beuys – The Pack – Fat, Felt and Wood – Watch Gillies’ talk HERE
- Charlotte Lillington from Fettes College – Jackson Pollock – Autumn Rhythm – Watch Charlotte’s talk HERE
- Sophie Marshall from St Kentigern’s RC High School – Frans Hals – Portrait of a Man with a Jawbone in his hand (1636) – The Intriguing Tale of Frans Hal’s Verdonck
- Erin Bushe from St George’s School – Rothko – the Seagram Murals – Meditative; mystery; magic: “The Seagram Murals” – watch Erin’s talk HERE
- Hannah Sharp from Loretto School – Caravaggio – The Supper at Emmanus 1601- A revolutionary Religious Painting
“It was a lot of fun and I’m really glad Jupiter Artland provided the opportunity for myself and others to take part in it. It is definitely something I will be encouraging a few of the new 5th and 6th years at my school to take part as the skills you get and confidence you gain from doing something like this I feel is going to be really useful in the future!” ARTiculation participant
The participants won a range of prizes sponsored by Laurence King Publishers, the Art Fund, Jupiter Artland and Nathan Coley gave everyone one of his books. The event was sponsored by Ikon Engineering and the Jupiter Artland Foundation. It is planned that ARTiculation will become a national event with regional heats all over Scotland and a national final in the spring of next year.